Unfortunately, there is no cure for flu. Unless you have any underlining medical or heath conditions you should be able to manage your symptoms of seasonal flu at home. You will usually get better without treatment.
There are things you can do to make yourself more comfortable including the following.
- Drinking enough fluids to prevent dehydration
- Steam inhalations with menthol, salt water nasal sprays or drops
- Vapour rubs (such as Vicks)
- Hot drinks (particularly with lemon), hot soups or spicy foods can help to ease irritation and pain in your throat and help reduce congestion.
- Sucking sweets or lozenges which contain menthol or eucalyptus may sooth your throat.
- Gargling with salt water may help a sore throat.
- Resting – you may need to stay off work or school for up to a week.
If you are experiencing any aches, pains or headaches you should take paracetamol or ibuprofen as a painkiller. These medicines will also help to reduce a fever if you have one.
As with all medicines, use only the stated dosage and if in doubt contact your GP.
If you are in a high risk group you may be prescribed antivirals. Click below for further information.